Mr Dermot Claffey
- Forename: Dermot
- Surname: Claffey
- Primary Position: Tailings Management Expert
- Secondary Position: Soil Mechanics
Dermot is a Chartered Civil Engineer with 30 years’ experience in the mining consulting industry, primarily in all facets of tailings management, gained from direct involvement in mining projects throughout Australia, Africa, North and South America, South East Asia and Europe. In this period he has been involved in over sixty tailings projects in more than 25 countries.
He joined Consulting Engineers, Knight Piésold in 1987 working from its offices in the UK on a range of mining projects worldwide and later from its office in Nairobi, Kenya.
In 1993 he transferred to the Perth, Australia office of Knight Piésold where he was involved in all aspects of the investigation, design, and construction of water management and tailings management facilities and the provision of geotechnical engineering services for new mining developments.
He was appointed Regional Manager West Africa for Knight Piésold in 2001 and as Managing Director of Knight Piésold Ghana based in Accra, was responsible for the development and expansion of the Ghanaian practice. The practice provided tailings engineering services to the mining industry in Ghana and neighbouring countries.
He left Ghana in December 2007 and spent three years, based in Canada and the UK, working as a sub-consultant to Knight Piésold on a number of mining and hydroelectric projects in Canada and Africa.
Since 20111, Dermot has been an independent, self-employed consultant, based in the UK providing engineering services to mining clients and consulting organisations, in the following areas:
- Tailings Storage Facility Design: All aspects of the investigation, design, management and operation of tailings management facilities, from conceptual design through to final design and construction.
- Due Diligence Reviews: Technical reviews of tailings, water and waste management facilities.
- Inspections: Third party independent inspections of tailings storage facilities for insurance or regulatory compliance purposes. Inspections conducted at all stages of the facility lifecycle from construction, through operations, to closure and post-closure.
- Geotechnical Investigations: Investigations for mining developments: Scoping, design, management, analysis and review of geotechnical investigations and studies for mining projects and developments.
- B.A., B.A.I. (Civil Engineering) University of Dublin, Ireland, 1986 M.Sc. (Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering), University of Newcastle, UK, 1987 Chartered Professional Engineer Member of the Institution of Engineers Australia Member of the British Dam Society
* N.B. Language skill is scored on a scale between 1 and 10.Return to list of key staff
if you would like to contact this individual, please use our contact form.Get in touch