Dr Fritz Balkau
- Forename: Fritz
- Surname: Balkau
- Primary Position: Advisor on Global Waste Management
- Secondary Position: Board Member International Cyanide Management Institute
Skills - Policy analysis and development, project evaluation, project management and co-odination, communication, training
Subject fields – corporate sustainability, life-cycle management, industrial ecology, chemicals management, emergency preparedness, pollution and waste prevention and management, mining and environment*.
Fritz's roles have included
- Co-editor of publication project on Life cycle apparoaches to Sustainable Regional Development
- Contributions to various international publications on life cycle management
- Member of Advisory Board for EU-funded ‘Snowball » project on disaster management
- Periodic lecturing assignments at Norwegian Technology Institute, Trondheim, Norway
- Review, updating and drafting of techncial document on emergency preparedness (APELL) for UNEP
- Advisor to editors of UNEP/ISWA project on Global Waste Management Outlook
- Consultant advisor to UNEP and OCHA on emergency management in mining sector, Madagascar and Zambia
- Member of UNEP advisory committees on sustainable minerals development and on chemical accident preparedness.
- Advisory work for regional government of Basilicata (Italy) on the organisation of a community conference on expansion of oil exploration and development.
- Technical consultant in hazardous waste to the International Solid Waste Association (ISWA)
- Adviser and resource person for ongoing summer school on LCM for sustainable regional development, Italy
- Member of international team on clean technologies and environmental management in Bhutan.
- Member of international panel to improve tailings management in ECE countries; drafting and review of guidelines.
- Joint author of ‘Managing sustainability performance through the value-chain’ for Journal of Corporate Governance.
- Conference presentation and expert panel at Swedmin 2009.
- Joint author on ‘Sustainable supply-chain management’ for Intech publishing.
- Review of and input to UNEP draft policy paper on new global mechanisms for sustainable minerals development.
- Project adviser and consultant on regional project to improve water efficiency in African breweries.
- Session leader and presenter for regional (Asian) waste management policy initiative (3R), Nepal.
- Bachelor of Science (Chemistry) First Class honours 1967 PhD (Chemistry) 1972 Diploma of Education 1974
* N.B. Language skill is scored on a scale between 1 and 10.Return to list of key staff
if you would like to contact this individual, please use our contact form.Get in touch